Welcome back to another school year! We hope you had a wonderful summer and we look forward to another year of fun activities for the students and their families.
Our first activity will be the Meet the Teacher Night Pizza Social that will be held on Wednesday, September 13th at 5:30pm in the school gym. This is an opportunity for parents to meet other parents at the school in an informal setting. Pizza and refreshments will be served. Please note that this event is intended for parents only.
Our School Council elections will be held on Monday, September 18th at 7pm in the Learning Commons at the school. All parents/guardians are encouraged to attend this meeting! School Council is always looking for new members to help us create a more positive school environment for our children. For a description of the roles and responsibilities of SKT Council, please see the next page.
If you are interested in joining our school council either as a general parent member, in a specific role or as a volunteer, please fill out the interest form http://bit.ly/sktcsc_2017-18ParentForm before Friday, September 15th.
For more information about the SKT School Council, you can look at what we accomplished last year on our School Council website. In addition if you have any questions, you can contact us via the "Contact Us" link or by leaving a note at the school (addressed to School Council).
We look forward to meeting you at the Pizza Social or at our first council meeting!
SKT School Council
School Council Roles and Responsibilities
* denotes mandatory positions
· Attends and participates in CSC meetings and on ad hoc committees.
· Votes on issues as required.
· Participates in information and training programs.
· Acts as a communication link with school community.
Chair (or 2 Co-Chairs if applicable)*
· Communicates on an on-going basis with the School Principal
· sets the dates and times of meetings
· establishes the meeting agenda
· Chairs school council meetings.
· Ensures a record of meetings are recorded and maintained.
· Ensures that the school community is kept informed on CSC proceedings and activities.
· Represents the council at special functions.
· Acts as a spokesperson for the CSC.
· Consults with senior board staff and trustees, as required.
· Participates in information and training sessions.
· Ensures follow-up on items raised by council members.
· Ensures council members are familiar with the local constitution/by-laws.
Vice-Chair (if applicable)
· Assumes acting role in the absence of the Chair.
· Assumes any other duties as assigned by the Chair.
· Records, distributes and maintains records of CSC meetings and correspondence related to CSC meetings.
· Ensures the record of decision is distributed no less than one (1) week after each meeting.
· Ensures access to SKT CSC records by the school community.
· Ensures that a copy of the record is provided to the school for the school community.
· Develops a budget at least one year out, at the direction of the Chair and the CSC.
· Maintains a record of SKT CSC funds and financial activities as required by Board policy and in keeping with common accounting practices.
· Co-signs cheques for payment of goods and services.
· Prepares an annual, financial statement for review and approval of the CSC.
· Ensures access to CSC financial records by the school community.
· Ensures that a copy of the financial record is provided to the school for access by the school community.
School Council Parent Association Representative/Ontario Association of Parents in Catholic Education Representative (appointed position)
· Reports issues referred by the Board and/or the Parent Association.
· Represents the opinions of parents in their school community.
· Represents and expresses the majority view of the CSC.
· Attends Ottawa Catholic School Council Parent Association meetings.
Parish Representative (appointed position)
· Brings the concerns of the parish regarding Catholic education to the CSC.
· Serves to disseminate the suggestions, orientations, activities and concerns of the CSC to the wider parish communities.
· Assists in promoting, aligning and co-ordinating the liturgical celebrations and other activities of the parishes, school and community as required.
· Assists in maintaining the Catholic dimension in the total school community.
Community Representative (appointed position)
· Reflects the views of the local community and brings forth concerns to the CSC.
· Provides a link between the CSC and the community